Tuesday 12 June 2012

Breathe...



[Let go.]

We must take hope seriously.





Oh my daughter’s daughters,

            Is my gift of life

                        The first act of violation against you?

I forced you into a world collapsing,

            A world ripping at all sides of your soul.
The choice to take life was not in your hands -
Your lungs had no option,
But to breathe.

Yet
despite your lack of say,
       Dear daughter’s daughters,
the forces of abuse are waiting to pounce –
                        and worse - enticing you to join them.

I bring you into the wars of human experience;
            Every part of you attacked.
I make you learn how to hate,
            As I struggle to love you enough;
            As I fail to love you enough;
            …as I let go of ever being able to love you enough.
[Let go.]

My fear of your apathy
                        Makes me more barren than my poverty...
Yet I take the risk.
                            [Let go.]
My blood runs cold thinking of
            How you will be violated;
            Who you will violate;
            Who you will ignore:
                        My sins in your blood,
                                    Cold as mine.

My love for you
 will not be enough.
[Let go.]
            You will be hurt.
[Let go.]
            You will learn to hurt.
[Let go.]
            You will be hurt again,
[Let go.]
            And again, you will learn to hurt.

I weep for you,
            My daughter’s daughters.
I give you a vessel for your soul,
            Something that brings you inside of time:
                        A prisoner to its forces.
We will try to connect,
             but never fully succeed.

Prepare to be hungry.
Prepare to never be satisfied in this life I made you take.
I cry out for you to please
             prepare for a world that rejects you from the start...
For how will I teach you,
            When I do not know?

From the first breath I push you to take,           
[Let go.]
            Breathe with me.
[Listen.]
            Breathe with me.
[Slow.]
            Breathe with me.
[Let go.]
            Grow with me –
            try,
            with me,
            to be,
      against all odds –
Something worth breathing for.

For in this life, 
           we must take hope seriously...

Oh my daughter’s daughters,
I am sorry.           
[Let go.]
[Breathe.]












Wall art at Bethlehem. Too beautiful for such an ugly thing!! 



Kindergarten Graduation performance/play that apparently the class came up with. The plot was simply a massacre of Palestinians from Israeli soldiers... all taking place on a stage in front of pictures of brothers who have died.  The whole evening really shook us. Though there were a few numbers of dancing and singing and really beautiful smiling kids, It made so real how children who grow up with guns in their faces and brothers/fathers/sisters in jail, must learn from a young age how to cope and respond in healthy, strong, productive, and sad ways. 


Luke 23:28
- C

No comments:

Post a Comment